Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Fear Not


I recently traveled for about one month in December - over the holidays and returned on the 8th of January.  I often travel alone and have no fear -  Fortunately - I am returning to that point of having no fear but being more vigilant and skeptical.  While during the last two days of my  trip -  I was with friend whom I had not  seen for quite a while.  Over the years - we continue to nurture our relationship through continuous communicate.  She took me to a very nice restaurant where we enjoyed each other along with an enjoyable meal.  Afterwards we were going to visit others whom I had met some time ago but didn't remember.  ( just setting the stage) - She is older than I (maybe that's hard to believe) - drives a 2014 Honda Accord).  We are not decrepit and were dressed for the outing.  She has snow white hair and looks great.  As we were driving to our destination - my friend made a wrong turn.  We were not going fast and we were in an upscale neighborhood complex.  A car behind us blew the horn.  After blowing again - my friend pulled over - stopped & lowered the window to wave him by.  He didn't pass by but parked his car on the incline - approached us -  was carrying on a conversation - and seemed pleasant. He was a decent looking man seeming to be helpful.  My friend had her purse on her lap and so did I -  in seconds -  he lunged into the car -  grabbed her purse and tried to grab mine - I held onto her purse trying to keep him from taking it but to no avail - he got hers -  not mine -  ran back to his car and backed down the hill and fled.  We were both devastated.  Fortunately -  we reached our destination - called the police -  my friend canceled her important cards and took care of all necessary things.  I was able to go to that sleep but when my eyes opened -  so did my mind. l relived the incident over and over again.  I was scared - very nervous - grateful and totally shook up.  During the brief incident -  my heart was beating so rapidly that I felt it could have been see through my shirt. 

  While & after talking to the police - I think we were both calm.  Later when my friend and I were alone -  I said -  "we need to regroup and count our blessings".  Except for a few scratches on my friend's hand -  and I think he bumped her head as he was pulling the purse -  we were uninjured -  no weapon was pulled  and we think if he had had a weapon -  he would have pulled it and gotten both purses.  We were completely blessed and not alone.  Like l said -  I travel often  by myself -  I pray B/4 I depart on a trip -  even going someplace nearby in my car - while traveling and constantly.  I feel God's presence with me.  I know I am not alone.  I am grateful.



There have been many times in my life that I have encountered God's grace .  This was the most recent.  The recollection of scripture verse goes like this -  

"Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness."
   My self imposed therapy has been talking to others - writing and praying.  I can now be with people - (because for almost a week or more -  I could not be with people for fear that they would ask me about my trip and it was hard not to cry - talk and not feel the fear in my body -  I am not trembling any more - I am not crying - I am not there as yet but I feel soon will be.   This  complete recovery must be soon as I leave again on the 18th -  Ash Wednesday.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71zs1BCkaiL._SX450_.jpg




No comments:

Post a Comment