Friday, March 20, 2015

A Walk in the Woods



Every day I like to walk in the woods.  Over time, my boots have tramped out a meandering network of trails past the familiar trees and through the tunneled undergrowth of my little piece of wilderness.

When winter sets in and the snow piles up, I find my trails become quite specific.  In fact as the snow deepens, the trail becomes more of a line of individual foot impressions into which I step day after day.
And I have noticed that I am not alone.

Especially after a fresh skim of snow, I see that others use the footprints of my trail as a way to traverse the woods.  Rather than plow a fresh path, woodland denizens place their own feet in the impressions I have left.  Sometimes it is a fox print I find in mine.  Or the long-toed splay of a raccoon.  Hares leap from step to step and even an occasional feral feline minces atop of my plodding steps. 

As we walk the trail of our Lenten journey, I cannot help but draw a comparison to my winter woodland trail. We often look at Lent as time to reflect on our own lives and faith journey, but I wonder if we sometimes forget that others may well be considering stepping where we step.  A faith walk is like a walk in the woods.  Hopefully when others consider what path to choose in life, they will look at the Way we have chosen and decide that trying to be a follower of Christ might be the right path for them as well.

Everywhere we travel, every conversation we hold, every moment we live… we leave a trail.  May our path be beautiful to walk, beautiful to behold and beautiful to God.

Hebrews 13:2   Psalm 119:105  

No comments:

Post a Comment