Friday, March 27, 2015

Jesus Sets His Face...



Luke puts it this way (9:51)
 When the days drew near for him to be taken up, he set his face to go to Jerusalem.


Gifts of the spirit for me are insight: to understand what the persons around you mean.  The gospel stories indicate that Jesus understood both faithful response and hateful criticism.  That insight was evident in his repeated telling his followers about the death which might be his death.  In spite of this, Jesus offered “life abundant”


Another gift of spirit is the choice given to us to act upon our insight.  Jesus chose to go to Jerusalem even if it meant standing against Roman authority or religious authority.  Remember, he cleaned the temple and asked for a house of prayer; he was asked by the Roman authority if he was a king.

Jesus acted again and again to demonstrate his Father’s will.  Touching lepers, learning to act in love for his mother, telling the stories of grace and love, listening to the words of faithful response.  So in this Lenten season we choose to follow in redeeming love for others, as did our Savior.


Lenten transformation for me asks insight into my place in gracious response to others, I need to choose to go this way, and the Spirit gives the reward of redeeming love: God’s love for me and my acts for others.


I can never give up enough, but I can endeavor to act in new and gracious ways every day.  The challenge for me is to know every day in Lent that I not only walk the way of the cross but I am learning to live in the resurrection.  I know life and life eternal now.  I endeavor to live with that insight, to choose it always, and to act in redeeming love for all persons.  


“You ask me how I know he lives, he lives within my heart.”  That has an ethical demand to walk faithfully, to  live graciously, to touch and lift others because I have known the Spirit faithfulness, the love that forgives every moment, and in the redeeming life that transforms.

Bruce Buller

 Two  prayers for transformation:



“Help me,
       Help me”

"Thank you, 
      Thank you!" 





No comments:

Post a Comment