Tuesday, March 17, 2015

We are all Children of God



James 2:5
“Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?

Luke 21:1-4 Widow's Offering

Jesus looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the offering box, and he saw a poor widow put in two small copper coins. And he said, “Truly, I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them. For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.”

I have been fortunate to have the opportunity to volunteer with the Saturday Noon Meals program at Christ United Methodist Church since it started 20 years ago.  I enjoy cooking meals with volunteers from many churches and community groups.  I like visiting with the guests and sharing our problems and joys.   During these years I have learned a lot about what is really important in life:


Small acts of kindness can make a huge difference in someone’s life. 

Celebrate everything God has given us: birthdays and holidays, someone’s new grandchild, a wedding, sunny days, 6 weeks of not smoking, a day without alcohol, a new shirt, healthy snacks

All people need to be able to give to others.  

I gave a mother with 3 small children a box of Kleenex.  She started crying and asked how I knew she needed Kleenex. I later read in the Post Bulletin that she had recently escaped from a cult. 

Once a month we celebrate birthdays for all of the guests who have a birthday during that month.  The guest receives a gift bag with toiletries/snacks and a cupcake.  We all sing “Happy Birthday dear friends”.  Many of our guests have no family in Rochester and really look forward to this celebration.  We also give gift bags to celebrate holidays. 

One Saturday a mother and her two young sons came to lunch at Saturday Noon Meals from the Women’s Shelter.  The stove at the Women’s Shelter was broken so they could not eat a hot meal there.  One of the boys offered to give me some of the small bags of potato chips he received at the Women’s Shelter.  I did not take any of the potato chips because they were the only thing he had.  I later realized that I should have not have turned down his offer to share with me – his desire to thank me was as important as Saturday Noon Meals providing a meal for him. 

The most important lesson I learned from Ruth.  One Saturday she said “I like coming here because you treat us like real people”.  During this Easter season let us all work to treat everyone as a real person.
~Diane Hellie




No comments:

Post a Comment