Monday, March 9, 2015

Listening for God's Voice



When I was growing up Lent became a very special time of year when we were expected to give up something we liked and become more involved in the church, especially Wednesday evening services. I don’t remember exactly what we gave up but I know we kids really were focused on what we would resume doing once Easter Sunday arrived! As part of our daily activities during Lent, at suppertime my father would read the Bible stories surrounding the 40 days and nights, Holy week, and Good Friday. As a vivid memory I still have today, I see my father reading the account of Jesus final moments on the cross on Good Friday and His last words.. “It is finished” and then seeing tears running down dad’s face. What a love he had for Jesus and what a wonderful way he showed us that love. I can’t remember any other time I ever saw him cry and I think that is the reason I still remember it today. During this time of contemplation and preparedness for Easter Sunday, I think of the many ways I can become closer to God by living and loving as Jesus has for me. How am I transformed by what I hear or see in my life each day? There is so much time I spend doing things, that I forget about stopping and listening for God or seeing what God has in store for me. I have so much to be thankful for and one of the biggest is this church family. I certainly felt the power of the congregation thru prayer each of the times I have been hospitalized and know what a calm came over me during my recovery because of it. I have been renewed and lifted up many times by your love, your spirit, and your prayers. Thank you, thank you, thank you! During these 40 days leading up to Easter Sunday I hope you will join me in trying to listen for God’s voice directing to become less self-focused and more focused on His love for each of us, in turn, increasing our love for each other.
~Stu  Eickelberg

Loving God, help us to slow down and listen for your call to love as you love us. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment