Friday, March 6, 2015

Power of Prayer



About 2-1/2 years ago, life was full of challenges... more than it seemed I could handle. My Mom had died after a long and agonizing battle with Alzheimers disease. Just a few months later my husband unexpectedly lost his job.  He did find work, but it did not use his skills and knowledge. It left him bruised in his soul.  Then my boss told me that in the next round of layoffs, I would likely be impacted.  Life felt pretty bleak. 

And then Pastor Mike sent out one of his suggestions for prayer. This time he recommended praying the 23rd Psalm.  I figured it was worth trying especially given everything going on in my life.  Every night before I slept, every morning when I woke up, and at various times during the day I would pray that Psalm.  Most times I couldn't get through it without breaking into tears.  

There were so many parts of the psalm that spoke directly to me - needing my soul restored and comforted during a very difficult time, feeling the shadow of earthly death but also death of careers and dreams.  Even more so, I desperately longed to know that I needn't fear evil but rather could rest in God's comfort. I longed to feel the blessings of anointing of my head with oil and having an overflowing cup. And most importantly of all, I desired to know - deep in my soul - that 'goodness and mercy would follow me all the days of my life and I would dwell in the house of the Lord forever.'

I prayed that prayer more than I had any other in my life. I printed copies of the Psalm to have with me wherever I was.  I clung to that message for dear life... and slowly I felt its message - God's message - sinking in.  

Over many months, the darkness in my soul receded. My husband found much more fulfilling work that used his knowledge.  While I did get told I would be impacted by the layoff, I had begun to believe in the power this prayer had in my life. I ended up finding a far better role and not actually having to leave. Not everything has turned to roses... but I feel God's blessings and comfort in my life. I continue to say this prayer nearly every day.  It is a blessing to me beyond measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment